Monday, June 15, 2015


As the 2015 Stanley Cup Final shifts to Chicago for tonight's game 6, the Blackhawks have the opportunity to win hockey's biggest prize on home ice.

The Chicago Black Hawks entered the National Hockey League in 1926-27 and captured their first Stanley Cup in 1934.

Taking on the Detroit Red Wings in the best-of-five Final, Chicago won games one and two, but Detroit survived to play another game by downing the Hawks 5-2 in game 3.

At Chicago Stadium on April 10, 1934, Chicago took another crack at winning their first Cup.

In a tightly played defensive battle, Chicago and Detroit were unable to convert their scoring chances in regulation time.

During the first overtime period, the scoring drought continued with goalies Wilf Cude for Detroit and Charlie Gardiner for Chicago not allowing a puck to get past them.

The scoreless encounter continued until the 10:05 mark of the second overtime period.

A penalty to Detroit's Ebbie Goodfellow for tripping Chicago forward Tommy Cook, set the stage for Chicago to bring down the curtain on the show.

On the power play, Chicago's first two rushes failed to result in a scoring chance.

"Then March (Mush) drove in from the right pulling loose from Buswell (Walt), and slashed a shot into the cage behind Cude," is how a report in The Globe and Mail described the Stanley Cup winning goal.

One of the stars for Chicago in the post-season was netminder Charlie Gardiner. In addition to winning the Cup, Gardiner was the Vezina Trophy (fewest goals against) winner for 1933-34.

Roger Jenkins, a defenceman with the Hawks, came to the aid of his goalie several times in game 4. Here is one example from a game story:

 Gardiner had his toughest moment (in the third period) when Emms (Hap) ripped a hard one at him. The Hawk goalie went down, and only a determined effort by Jenkins kept Goodfellow from shooting, Jenkins cleared, and the attack was broken up.

While the regular season was in progress, Jenkins told Gardiner that if Chicago won the Cup, he would push him around a city block in a wheelbarrow.

True to his word, the day after winning the Cup, Jenkins took Gardiner for his wheelbarrow ride. An AP story noted this happened "in a driving snowstorm."

When their adventure ended, Gardiner told his teammate, "Now, I hope you will have more faith in your team next year."

Unfortunately,  Charlie Gardiner wasn't alive when the Chicago Black Hawks took to the ice to defend their Stanley Cup title in 1934-35. On June 13, 1934, Gardiner passed away three days after he suffered a brain hemorrhage.

Paying tribute to Gardiner, former Chicago manager, Tommy Gorman, said, "Gardiner was without doubt the greatest single factor in the winning of the Cup by the Hawks."

Chicago's first Stanley Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.